The “Different” English Dictionary with more than 1.4 million words.
This dictionary is FREE for the Android platform
WordNet® is a large lexical database of English with up to 140,000 entries and more than 1.4 million words, developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.
Instead of following the standard dictionary format, the WordNet dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to the straightforward definition the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.
The resulting network of meaningfully related words and concepts:
* helps you to better understand the word meanings,
* facilitates the quick finding of the correct meaning,
* allows you to quickly memorize words.
A Comprehensive Dictionary and Thesaurus
* Straight forward and precise definitions of over 140,000 words with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words.
* Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help you make your writing and speech more interesting.
* Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names)
* Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations.
The MSDict Dictionary Format
The Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus is here presented in MSDict electronic format. MSDict offers best experience in mobile reference and is available for any handheld platform.
* Quick dynamic search of words while you type
* Transcriptions facilitating pronunciation
* Hyperlinks between different related words
* History to see the last 50 words you have looked up
* Support for memory cards
* Filters to help you locate the word you are searching for:
o Fuzzy filter- used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
o Keyword-used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
o Wild card – “?” and “*” replace a letter and group of letters in words
* Fast article scrolling
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the day as a widget on the phone home screen
* Ability to search words in the installed dictionaries through the standard phone search feature.